Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Confession-Grisham

I have always had a soft spot for Grisham, and I always loved the idea of a lowly rookie lawyer who alas became a star in his own right, much like how everyone loves a movie about an ugly duckling transforming into a swan and become the new popular queen. Cliché, but it captures the humans in us in which we always hope that there is a better tomorrow for the main character, and hopefully that translates into our own lives as well, in which we are the main actor.
But like I said earlier, Grisham can make cliché sounds pretty damn amazing, trust me on this one.
Yesterday, I started to read The Confession, his fifth book I'm trying to add to my already-read list. Thus far, I find this book a little different from all his other books. Okay, it is still about the law thing.
But it IS different. I am currently on page 36, so this is only my opinions on what I have laid my eyes on.
You see, the story kind of borders between an incident in 1999, the case of rape-and-murder of a Nikki Yarber, a white cheerleader, which evokes racial tensions between the black and white community in Slone, Texas as a black young man was accused of committing the said crime. Well, the book kind of mocks at the law when the conviction was ruled out even without the most important evidence--Nikki's body, which was not found, and the fact that almost all the existing evidences shows that Donte Drumm, the young black kid was in fact, innocent. But because the town was so desperate for a solution to the puzzle, so  afraid that justice could not be stood for their beloved Nikki, that they are willing to jump on any ship that  hinted that that loose ends are going to come to an end in the form of a Joey Gumble, who was jealous of the affair between Donte and Nicole, which I doubt really exists. And his heart being broken, he seized the opportunity and throw all accusation onto poor Donte when Nikki suddenly vanished from the mall she frequented with her girlfriends.The twist here, baby, Gumble was at the mall, and Donte was at home. So?
Then, we are introduced to a Travis Boyette, a hardcore sex offender , who found out he had an unoperable brain tumor and after realising that his days are numbered, he decided to confess his sins to a pastor. Yes, you got it right, he is the killer. More on that later.
But I find it hard to fall in love with the Drumm's family lawyer, Robin Flake. Yeah, yeah, he fights for the poor innocent souls and everything but he comes off as a bit too loud. I don't know, maybe as the story progressed, I might actually like this character.
That's it so far.


No comments: